Sunday, January 22, 2012

Blog #1: Educational Philosophy


Growing up in public schools taught me that standardized tests are by far more important than understanding the key concepts of each subject. While I was enrolled in high school, I believed that teachers only focused on teaching student the various ways to pass the standardized tests. I did not realize that teachers have Common Core Standards they must follow for the subjects they teach. I also did not realize that teachers have the expectations from higher-level educators (and the government) to aid their students in passing standardized tests.
If I had known the various tasks and expectations behind my teachers’ motives as a student, I would have reacted positively towards their teaching structures. Because I would not have truly understood my teachers’ explanation the Common Core or their obligations, my educational experience could not have improved by much. One major improvement would have been a better explanation of the work we were doing in class. Although teachers need to follow the Common Core, they should explain the reasons behind some of their lessons to maintain student interest and appreciation.
As a future teacher, I believe that it is important to give the “why bother with this” explanation to my students. It creates a balanced atmosphere in the classroom and creates an open atmosphere. This is extremely important in my classroom because I will be teaching some controversial texts. If my students are not receptive to the texts I teach, I cannot expect them to be receptive to round-table discussions about the readings. It will also create a rift between my students and myself. I also believe that I must keep an innovative classroom. This requires me to blend technology with my lessons, as well as discovering new ways to battle the use of technology in and outside of the classroom. By accepting the changes from my first year teaching until the moment I retire, I will be able to maintain a dynamic relationship with my students and hold their interest in literature.
Creating a student-centered classroom is also an important aspect of my educational pedagogy. By creating a classroom atmosphere that welcomes independent thought and insight, I am giving my students a different learning experience in the English arts. For example, to incorporate my students’ insight into the course material, they will have the opportunity to create a unit plan that focuses around the texts, authors, or themes that they would like to cover. This plan will also give them the opportunity to lead class discussion and openly participate in the class activities they create for the unit.
Establishing a classroom that keeps literature interesting by combining old and new texts is also a major aspect of my educational pedagogy. For example, there would be a unit focused solely on one theme, like violence in literature. I would use old texts, like Shakespeare’s Macbeth, and a newer text, like The Hunger Games, and create a unit focused around the theme of violence between the two texts. The intention is for my students to begin to connect various themes, as well as realize how literary themes have stayed the same even though the language has changed. By combining old and new texts, students will receive a vast range of genres and an archive of texts they enjoy.
            In comparison to the philosophies we discussed in class, I feel that I combine the philosophies of Essentialism, Progressivism, and loosely Perennialism, rather than focusing on only one practice. I feel that my philosophy relates to Essentialism because I know that I must use to Common Core throughout my curriculum. These standards were created to “...aim to provide clear, consistent academic benchmarks with “fewer, clearer and higher” academic standards for essential learning and skills. The standards were developed while considering the standards of top performing countries and the strengths of current state standards” (http://www.isbe.net/common_core). These standards combine the concepts of outcome and content standards within the Illinois education system. They focus not only on “how well a student must do,” but also on “what students will be taught” (Kohn, 2004, p. 47). It also follows the belief that students must understand the key important facts of the subject before going into the deeper and more subjective course material. The Essential philosophy also shares the belief that change is okay and must be accepted into the educational pedagogy. In regards to Progressivism, I believe that we share a similar belief that the classroom should be more student-centered. This is an important aspect because it gives students to opportunity to learn through experience rather than theory alone. It also creates the possibility for students to explore school subjects outside of the classroom. I believe that my teaching philosophy loosely compares to Perrenialism because the Perrenialist philosophers solely focus on the Western culture and believe that their ideas are everlasting. This perspective is not only close-minded, but it also excludes other cultures that may relate to my students. I believe that my philosophy still connects loosely to Perrenialism because I will be teaching many Western texts and focusing on those texts during my educational career.


Kohn, A (2004). What does it mean to be well educated? Boston: Beacon press books.

4 comments:

  1. I agree with you completely. I wish my teacher's would have explained to me the Common Core Standards. I would have felt like they saw me as an adult or even as a partner in my own education rather than just a child being given an assignment. Had I known more than, I would have tried harder for their sake instead of slacking off for mine.

    I really enjoy your interest in combining multiple educational philosophies, and I agree that it's probably the best route. All of the philosphoies have strong and weak points. By elminating the weaker points and using the stronger points, you're only bettering your students' educations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with you. I also felt like teachers were teaching for us to pass the standardized tests. They would spend the whole month prior to the tests helping us prepare. I think students miss out on valuable learning experiences when teachers try teach the test. Like you I also did not know there was any common core knowledge a teacher was required to teach students. I understand why they have standardized tests but some students just are not good test takers or they get test anxiety and then they do not do as well. I like that your philosophy is similar to perennialism. I think perennialism covers all the core subjects along with the arts which is often looked at as not being important to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looked good- but I got confused at the end- you said that the perrenialist approach was focused on the west- excluding others, but that was how you wanted to teach- so... what about other cultures- especially in a world where students will definitely be much different ethnically- if you only focus on a Western perspective- what value does that teach them? I do understand the common core standards- yet- they will change as the demographics of our society shift.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Professor Ragland: After re-reading my teaching philosophy, I believe that I have left out a word or two in my writing to better explain my thoughts. When I say that I "loosely compare to Perrenialism," I mean that I will also focus on Western texts, but I will not be solely focusing on those texts. I plan to incorporate various cultures and ethnicities into my English classroom. To be honest, I would be bored teaching solely Western literature in my classroom.

    I do agree, the Common Core Standards are always changing, but they hinder our freedom in the classroom due to the limitations to be up to par with other countries around the world. They already inhibit creativity now, so what will happen years down the road, as we become more competitive? I worry that the Common Core Standards will eventually cut off the creativity in English literature classrooms, which is one of the only places to have creativity in the classroom now.

    ReplyDelete